Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Why do we put each other down?

I decided to write this blog post to expand on my Facebook status update from two days ago.

Facebook Status
As a spa consultant I see so much fighting, cattiness, ruthlessness, in this industry among women. This has to stop, or this industry will fail. We as women need to help one another. We are the ones standing in our own way of success. You may not like someone you work with, and they may not like you, and that's fine. You may not like them, but you need to respect them as
a human. The best advice I have given as a teacher and a consultant is. STAY OUT OF IT!
1) Don't mix business with your personal life- If you don't want people to judge or make comments about you and your life, then don't talk about it.
2) Stay out of the break room- Your coworkers will bring you down talking about who they hate. So get on the floor and sell some product and promote yourself.
3) Come to work, do your job, be nice and respectful to others, but don't join in on the negative talk.

My Story
My first job as an esthetician was great, the only thing that was not great was the other estheticians I worked with.  When I interviewed for the job, the lead esthetician did a quick interview with me to scope me out.  I think she saw me as sweet, young, and maybe a little naive; so posing no threat to her business I was in the door.

My First Week on The Job
1) I was cussed out by the lead esthetician because I was talking to one of her clients that had questions about a product. Mind you she had left her client upfront to go eat lunch.
2) While training me, she told me all the wrong protocols to follow.
3) Told me I was not going to make it in this business because I was too young.
4) Told the staff that I gave the worst facial she has ever had. (Funny thing is I never gave her a facial for the interview)
5) THE WORST OF ALL- She would pass gas while giving a facial; and then I was told by her clients later that she blamed it on me while I was training with her. I am not even kidding. 

The Lessons I Have Learned
When I started teaching esthetics five years ago I made a promise to myself. That promise was to train my students to the best of my ability, and prepare them for situations like this.  I have never viewed my students as a threat to my future career, but rather sent them out as an experienced guide for others to follow.  The main thing that I want you to take away from this is. We all know from life experiences that when someone puts you down, makes fun of you, or tries to sabotage your career, it's because they feel threatened by you.  Just keep this in mind
1) Be confident in your skills and in your own skin.
2) Don't compete, just strive to learn and grow with your fellow estheticians.
3) Don't get involved in the drama, get bitter, or plan revenge on your enemies. (They will shoot themselves in the foot eventually.)
4) Help your fellow co-workers. If you help others they will help you, I promise.
5) But if all else fails just remember that sometimes hatters gonna hate. Just go into work everyday with a positive outlook, and if your clients love you and keep coming back, then don't sweat the drama.

And one last thing:  If a co-worker is sabotaging your career and your name; the best thing to do is plan a meeting with the owner and co-worker to talk through the situation, explain your concerns, and stand your ground.  Trust me, no one likes to be called on the carpet for their actions and it will usually stop.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment